Home

Friday 1 May 2015

Love for Vintage

When you are doing up a house one of the first challenge is to pick a theme, a mood for the house which makes a 'home'. I am going through a similar turmoil at the moment. As if moving into a new place is not enough challenge we have decided to leave all our existing furniture behind and start fresh. Some have been disposed, and some have found a new home in our garage waiting to get a new transformation:). Although, it’s a sheer pressure of getting things done, this is one of the kind of stress you enjoy. The whole process of researching, browsing endlessly for those unique pieces, clicking on the checkout button and finally unwrapping the delivery is ecstatic.

Honestly, it didn't take much time for me to decide on the look of the house. ‘Vintage’ was an outright winner. Although I love shabby chic, it is getting more and more ‘high street’ status off late with mass production of shabby chic look alike furniture. Don’t get me wrong, but the whole point of refurbishing an old rustic piece of furniture is gone out of the window and the authenticity is lost. Having said that, finding an authentic piece can prove to be a really tough and pricey affair. So the secret lies in striking the right balance of high street, authentic vintage and handmade products. Don’t be scared to take up a DIY project and give the place a personal touch. If I am attempting it, anyone can - you can totally trust me on that ! Style them with your finds from some of the stores which have stuff worth dying for like notonthehighstreet, anthropologie, loaf, Butlers. One of such products I was able to lay my hands on was this gorgeous dining table from Made.comQuiet affordable at £329 and perfect for a humble dining area with a classy rustic finish. I personally like the chipped finish they gave to the base of the table and the embossed flower pattern against a lovely grey background on the legs.

Coming to my choice of colours, I wanted something bright and lively. Playing with colours with your statement furniture pieces is far more easier than trying to use them on the walls.  The whole process of choosing a colour for the walls, sampling, test paints, busying the colours, painting or briefing the shade to the painters is all too much of an effort for me. Keep the walls white or very neutral and add fun accessories which have a pop of colour. My present obsessions is blue - all shades going up to a very light green are catching my eyes these days. My very first buy as an inspiration for colour and design is this bright Jug with a classic blue English pattern. It almost gives you a feeling as if it's taken out from an old Doulton collection:). 







































The blue printed mug which is also part of the inspiration purchase is my favourite now and I bought it for like £2 in a garden shop which makes it even more adorable and my morning coffees even more refreshing. That also happened to be the mug when my son made me a coffee for the first time - so it's ever so special:) 



So when my enthusiasm was reaching its high and just when I am making these 'inspiration purchases' left right and centre I received these two gorgeous, absolutely beautiful stools as a gift from a cousin congratulating on our new house, I took it as a sign of approval for my colour choices from my guardian angels of designing and decided on 'Blue'. The styling and design for rest of the furniture was also inspired  by these two pretty things.



I really loved the vibrant blue pattern and that's something I am working at incorporating in some of my soft furnishings too, I shall keep you posted :) Watch the space for more and more pictures, design crushes and inspirations from Damsels in Distress.

XX  G 



No comments:

Post a Comment